South Cappadocia Tour Underground City & Traditional Villages
Operated : Everyday between 09:00 am / 17:00 pm
Tour Highlights : Goreme Panorama, Undergroundcity, Ihlara Valley to Belisirma Village, Selime Monastery , Pigeon Valley, Shopping
Pick-up from your hotel at 09:30am
Our shuttle will pick you up from hotel & drop off back at the end of the tour.
You will visit the following sights with an experienced and licensed professional tour guide with this tour.
South Cappadocia Tour also known as Green Tour at Lonely Planet's recommendations, is a great itinerary which covers all highlights of the South Cappadocia. When combined with North Cappadocia Tour at second day, two tours would cover all Cappadocia's highlights.
DERINKUYU UNDERGROUND CITY Derinkuyu is Cappadocia's biggest underground with approximately 7 floors and 85m deep. It contains all the usual rooms found in an underground city (stables, cellars, storage rooms, refectories, churches, wineries etc). Apart from these, a large room with a barrel vaulted ceiling on the second floor was a missionary school, the rooms to the left being study rooms. From the 3rd and 4th floors onwards the descent is by way of vertical staircases, which lead to a cruciform plan church on the lowest floor. The 55m deep ventilation shaft was also used as a well. Not every floor was provided with surface access in order to protect the dwellers from poisoning during raids. Derinkuyu Underground City was opened to visitors in 1965 but so far only 10% can be visited.
IHLARA VALLEY - TREK Early Christians have constructed their rock houses and temples by carving the tuffs in the valley of Ihlara, through the valley runs the Melendiz River. The waters of the river are named Ihlara as Peristrema meaning "The people of circulating waters". To search the source of the water in Ihlara, is in fact trying to reveal the meaning of life. It takes 2 1/2hrs to walk from the Ihlara Vadisi to Belisirma and about 3hrs to walk from Belisirma to Selime.
BELISIRMA AND LUNCH After walking through Ihlara Valley you will be driven to Belisirma for a smorgasbord lunch, a mixture of Turkish and Western food including dessert.
PIGEON VALLEY You will stop on the outskirts of Goreme village and look down into Pigeon Valley to see the centuries old pigeon houses carved from the cliffs. Throughout the years farmers have used pigeon manure as a rich source of fertiliser for their crops..
SELIME MONASTRY Selime Monastery is an astonishing rock cut structure incorporating a vast kitchen and soaring chimney. A church with a gallery all around it, stables with feeding troughs and other evidence of the troglodyte lifestyle.
GOREME ESENTEPE (PANAROMIC VIEW) The magnificent landscape around Goreme has been formed from its solidified lava streams, its ash and tuff stone, all dating from the Neocene period. A result of thousands of years of continual erosion makes this area look like a lunar landscape. The fairy chimneys also have a great colour variety. There are light and dark colours from white to yellow, pink, grey and black.
The tour ends around 16:30 /17:00, Drop of to hotels.
Return to your hotel at around 17:30pm.
Pick up & drop off from Hotel
Transportation with A/C non-smoking deluxe vehicle throughout the trip
Professional and experienced licensed guide during the tours.
Main entrance fees to sights mentioned by the itinerary
Meals mentioned by the itinerary - Vegetarian meals available
Local taxes & handling services
Parking fees, ferry, tolls and petrol.
- Any other expenses not noted in the above included section
- Tips to guide, driver and hotel personnel
- Items of a personal nature
- All kinds of beverages and medical services
- ** Refer to itinerary, (B) means breakfast, (L) Lunch, (D) Dinner is included if printed next to day’s itinerary on small group tours. Lunch excluded on private tours.
- On daily city tours; flights, hotels, airport transfers are not included.
- Please ask for discounted rates for family and for large groups.
- Rates in EURO per person sharing a Double Room.
- Flights tickets are e-tickets. Calculation is based on promotional class and rates are subject to change until ticketed. You will receive references to flight tickets after booking.
- This itinerary is subject to change and may be reversed without prior notice according to weather, museum closing days, daily events or other unforeseen circumstances outside the control of Istanbul Travel Group Tours.
- Small Group tours are with English speaking guide. On Private Tours, you may ask to have Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, French, German, Russian or Japanese Speaking guides which will depend on availibility.
- You may join this tour in Istanbul or Cappadocia, we can reverse the itinerary.
- For groups over 10 people, contact us for special rates.
We can custom design your itinerary to create a touring program that most ideally suits your personal, educational, cultural, and budgetary requirements. Please contact us for details and we will design your dream tour…